There really are some people who simply do not belong in their profession. This happens in all kinds of careers I know but when it happens in the medical profession it affects peoples lives much more so than other kinds of positions! I called yesterday to find out about getting couples counseling, we have been through so much, it seems like the smart thing to do right? So I called the number I was given for mental health services. They said I would receive a call back from a "triage nurse" who would assess my needs. OK fine, not a problem. This morning I get a call back, pretty good I thought. So the lady begins her questions, why do you want services? I explain my son died this past June and my husband and I would like to get more information regarding options for couples grief counseling. First thing she says is well we don't offer couples counseling at all, only individual. Then she goes on to say and I quote, "this is for mental health issues like manic depression or other mental illness not life stress issues"
" LIFE STRESS ISSUES!" I wanted to tell her, " my son died you *witch* not my freaking goldfish!!!!!
I am glad to say that is not how I responded, although I might have felt better if I did. Instead I quietly insisted on an apt. so she set me up for a "group orientation" what ever the hell that is. As you can imagine by the end of the conversation I just wanted to scream profanities at her but I did not. After getting off the phone I knew I had to let it go for a while I had plans today, that I was not going to miss.
So I met my friends for coffee and then to visit Ethan's grave site, which was really special, they had not seen it yet. Then afterwards continued the fun with lunch at the Elephant Bar, yummy! So at least I did not let the evil witchy nurse ruin my plans for the day. Very happy about that! Then when I got home I knew I had to do something about this morning, it was simply unacceptable behavior.
So I thought about it and then I remembered I had a card for a wonderful women I knew in member services. I called her and told her what happened, she was horrified, to say the least! She also told me that the nurse was incorrect about the counseling policies. I should be able to get individual therapy sessions! After apologizing profusely and promising to take care of the situation she said she would call me back by the end of the day. So about a half hour later I get a call from the supervisor of mental health services who begins with profuse apologies and then lets me know that I have been set up for my first session this week and anytime my husband wanted to join me it would be fine. Also the horrible nurse had been dealt with as well :) Ha Ha Ha score one for me!! It pays to know the right people.
However I just have to say, that awful woman should be working in a laboratory somewhere in Antarctica, not dealing with patients whose lives are affected every day by her heartless attitude!!
In the end, the important thing is I won, I stood up to the big bad witch (even if it was by going above her) and I am getting what I need but what a battle it was! What if I hadn't had the contact that I did like most people? I would be sitting here without services angry and bitter! Granted I still can't believe it happened but at least I was able to do something about it. What about all the people who don't have the know how or ability to advocate for themselves? Maybe that's what I should be "when I grow up" a patient advocate. Something to think about anyway. Well it is getting late and I should get some sleep. Thanks for listening and letting me rant!
Ami as hard as this must have been to deal with your blog on it made me chuckle. You are a wonderful writer. Amy B.
ReplyDeleteGlad you followed up. People should not be allowed to get away with their insensitivity. Good for you and I'm glad you are taking that step. - monique
ReplyDelete