Then the coordinator began by telling us her story. Each person/couple had the opportunity to share their story and I was on the edge of my seat for each one. They were all so sad. This was such a new, truly breath taking experience for me. Until now all the birth stories I had heard from my friends had happy endings, but none of ours did. My heart ached for each of the mommies there as they told their stories, some with humor, some tears, all with the same sadness in their voice. Each couple had suffered more than any parent ever should. Through all of this sadness though there is also hope.
Immediately I felt like I knew these women, truly they understand my pain in a way no one else can. We got to share Ethan's story in detail from the beginning of our journey out loud. What a relief it was to be able to talk as much as we wanted without worrying about how we were making someone else feel! To be able to share without constantly worrying about making someone uncomfortable, it was like a wall had been torn down.
Something that really surprised me is that I didn't cry when telling our story for the first time. I fully expected to but somehow by the time it came to our turn I knew I wasn't going to cry. I was eager to talk about it, to tell everyone about Ethan's story and all the details leading up to his birth. I guess I was so anxious to share and make sure I included all the details that I never got to that point. I usually can tell if I'm going to cry or not, my throat tightens up, the tears build up and my nose begins to clog up. Then the tears just flow, sometimes a few drops at a time and sometimes in a flood. But tonight I had neither of those, instead just a sense of calm, peace and relief.
Dave also talked a lot and I am so thankful that he felt comfortable enough to share his feelings and perspective in front of strangers. I think he felt like me that by the end of the night we were no longer strangers. I am sad that we all had to meet this way and that groups like these are even necessary breaks my heart, but I am so grateful that they do.
I am sorry you have to have a blog like this, though I have to tell you that it is beautiful. They layout is so sweet and your writing is very heartfelt.
ReplyDeleteMy sister in law has a blog as well, I thought you might like to see hers. The link is for her new blog and Abigails blog has a button on the upper right hand side.
http://laughtersthecure.blogspot.com/
we are so glad that you found us and had a good first meeting. It was great to meet you and get to hear your story of Ethan. It stinks that we have to meet and get to know each other under the circumstances that we do but it is always good to know that someone out there understands.
ReplyDelete:) I'm glad you had a good first meeting! What a blessing!!
ReplyDelete